Dairy Free Vegetarian Moussaka
Please everyone in your family with this hearty vegetarian moussaka! This filling recipe will meet all of your guests and families dietary requirements, with this recipe being dairy free, vegetarian and gluten free!
1/3 cup olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp dried oregano
400g can crushed tomatoes
400g can no added salt lentils, rinsed, drained
1 cup dairy-free yoghurt
1/2 cup dairy-free cream cheese, at room temperature
2 free range eggs
2 tbs plain flour (can use Gluten Free flour)
2 large eggplants, cut lengthways into 1cm-thick slices
300g sweet potato, cut lengthways into 1cm-thick slices
1 cup dairy-free mozzarella-style shredded cheese
Small basil leaves, to garnish
Cooking time: 45 minutes – 1 hour
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and oregano and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add tomatoes and lentils and simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened slightly. Set aside.
- Whisk yoghurt, cream cheese, eggs and flour together in a bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- Brush both sides of eggplant and sweet potato slices with remaining oil and season with pepper.
- Heat a chargrill pan over medium-high heat. Cook vegetables in batches, for 2-3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate.
- Preheat oven to 180°c. Grease a 30 x 40cm roasting pan. Arrange a layer of eggplant in base of pan. Cover with one-third of the tomato sauce and lentils. Top with sweet potato. Repeat layering sauce and eggplant, finishing with sauce.
- Spread yoghurt mixture over sauce and top with dairy-free cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden. Garnish with basil, cut into squares and serve.
Photo & Source
Centre: Green Leaves Early Learning Richlands